Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Here we go again...

It's been a while, other writing projects tend to interfere with my blogging, but here I am again ready to write the summer away. The intent of this blog, similar to there are always more words is more blatant. We, mystery man and me, are going to take an exhaustive road trip across country. But, as a prerequisite to that trip, I'm heading to Philadelphia for a week with my beloved Teaching American History group, 22 brave souls, a professor and the supervisor of the whole program (a cool, fun, interesting lady). We are going to hit every major historical site in Philly in a week, do a video of each site (I'm the Eastern Penitentary one) and end our three year trek through history with a great big fun trip. I'll get home Thursday night and ship out for California the next day (I hope he remembers to buy a case of Diet Coke for the ride for me). My biggest fear isn't how we'll get there, what obstacles we'll face or all those semi's encroaching on our lives for our trip. My main worry is...will there be washers and dryers at the hotel on Wednesday night before we leave Philly so I'll at least have clean clothes for the trip!

We're heading for the Salinas, California area, home of John Steinbeck and most of the produce we consume on a regular basis and the stomping ground of Mystery Man's parents and grandmother. We'll be visiting San Jose to see our brand new neice, Anwen and her parents Kat and Az. My big goals are the National Steinbeck Museum, Big Sur and The Redwoods or Sequoias Parks. On the way back we're planning on stopping at Mt. Rushmore and the family homestead in Howard, South Dakota. If at that point we still have any money left (sheesh) we may stop off in Chicago for a night.

I personally can't wait. We've been lake bound for so long now, this will be the summer of more roads and I am looking forward to it. I'll keep you informed...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, how jealous I am that you will be seeing Steinbeck's old stomping grounds that he wrote so vividly about in all of his stories. Although who knows, I may not be too far from there before long.

    It's appropriate that you're going all 'Travels With Charley' on your way to the Salinas, CA area too. I wonder if Rocinante is going to be at the museum?

    So, have fun, good luck, don't forget a spare tire or two, and I look forward to reading of your travels with Mystery Man.

    -JB

    ReplyDelete